View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llggood
OK I rescued Gracie. They had her, she had an eye ulcer and they couldn't paper her and she was no good to them so I took her. I have no idea how big or what her parents look like. She is almost 7 months and weighs 2.5 lbs. She eats good, good temperment, etc. I have always heard little Yorkies have health problems. She is on a good diet,, I give her good vitamins etc. Any other suggestions?
Good for you for rescuing little Gracie. Very often one that small does have health problems but not absolutely always. There are things you can test for and it may not be a bad idea. Liver shunt Bile Acid test is a good one to have done. That will indicate also if there is a liver problem. Knowing if there is may be a good idea as there could be ways to give a quality of life such as feeding a different diet depending on the type of problem if one exists.
You can talk to your Vet about that test and if they don't know anything about BA testing find another clinic. It does involve a 12 hours fast however, I have just learned that there is a Urine BA test that only involves about 4 hours fasting. Go to the Health section of this forum for the link. Email again if you can't find I posted the info there.
I don't know if you have had a check up on her as they can check her heart for anything that may be detectable in an office visit.
There are many other things that may be a health factor that you can't really test for. One is enzymes and whether or not they are being produced properly and if there are hormone malfunctions those can't all be tested for. You could do a blood panel but I think a BA test would be the best start.
Again, she may be just small but the BA test will tell you a lot if anything is there.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!