View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
Kizzys Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowza
Hello there, My name is Lowri, I have a miniature yorkie called Flopsie, she is nearly 5 months old now.... !

I read your story about the pulling on the choker, I can imagine that it was awful for you... I am trying to get flopsie to stop pulling, so I bought a cat harness which does not involve the throat if she pulls... I find that most of the collars and harness's that I buy her are meant to be for cats, but I never find anything small enough for her!

Anyway, I was going to ask you if you knew anything about the cooked bones that we give them after a lamb lunch etc.. I say to her : "go and get your bone" she goes to find it, brings it to me, and shows it to me in her mouth, then I say to her "oooowwww....!! That's flopsies's bone!!!! but then she drops it as if she is scared of it, and as if it is mine or something.. she knows that it is hers, she knows that it is her treat, she knows that I dont want it... and she knows that I gave it to her... So why does she drop it infront of me and run off ?

I'm talking about a shank of lamb that we humans put in the oven and eat with potatoes and vegetables and some gravy... then when all the meat has been eaten off the bone, it is then given to the dog to chew... !!

Just wanted to be sure that everyone knows what I mean... !!

Any ideas, it's fascinating me and i am dying to find out the psychology behind it!!! looking forward to hearing from you !!

Regards, Lowri... x
I do know this works in training them not to pull on the leash. Or at least its what I did with kizzy. With her harness and leash on when she starts pulling, just stop, stand still. Do not move or say anything. let her pull when she realizes she isnt going anywhere she will stop and turn and look at you. Then just start walking up towards her. Do this everytime if it takes you 20 minutes to do a 5 minute walk. She will soon stop and look at you when she sees pulling doesnt get where she wants to go. Kizzy now will even wait for me to get to her then we start walking again. She rarely pulls anymore.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!