View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
BonamassaGirl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Are you putting him in the same crate he came in when he was shipped? That might be a problem... I could see if he had a rough flight he would associate the crate with the bad experience, so you have to work on re-introducing him to the crate in a positive way.

I would try putting him in there for very short periods of time . Start out giving him a very small treat, petting him and praising him, and give him a few of these. Then, put a treat inside the crate, and encourage him to go in there and get it. Close the door for 5 to 10 seconds (don't lock, just close) and praise him and give him a treat when he comes out if he doesn't cry. You'll have to continue to do this for short periods throughout the day, gradually increasing his time in there.

Set a time, ( use a very short time in the beginning, under a minute) and reassure him while he's in the crate, and when you let him out praise him. If he doesn't cry, then reward him with praise and a treat. do not do this if he cries. Just ignore the crying and let him out after the set time. You don't want him to begin to learn that crying will get him attention! This is a lot of work, but you'll be successful if you are consistent. He'll start to associate the crate with something positive, and eventually he'll like being in there.

Both of my dogs love their crates, they are like little dens to them. I wish you luck, and I hope this helps! Your puppy is adorable!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!