Thread: Distemper ?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
sam
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Distemper ?

Hi,

My name is Mariska, I am Dutch but live in Portugal. I bought a baby Yorkie 2 weeks ago. His name is Sam. When I brought him home he was fine. After 4 days he started coughing, vomiting blood ( old blood) and having diarrea. I went to the vet because he was really doing bad. The vet did a bloodtest and it came out that his bloodsugar was way to low : 2. The docter decided to keep him for the night. He warned me that it could be the Parvovirus. The next morning the vet did the Parvo test and it came out negative. Sam recovered very well with the antibiotics. Now 10 days later his cough is back again. I went to the vet today and she made xrays. His lungs showed a bronchitis. Now this vet told me that it could be Distemper................. Since the pattern of healthproblems develop in the way it has been developing with Sam.

He is now home and again on antibiotics. If the distempertest comes out positive we really have a problem, because in most cases this is deadly to pups ( Sam is now 3 months and 4 days)

Does anyone have experience with these infections on puppies ?

In Europe we have a huge problem with illegal dogtrade coming from Eastern European countries. The pups are transported in vans to Italy, Belgium and Holland and half of them dont even survive the trip. They are not vaccinated nour dewormed ( did I write that well ?). After they are sold in shops or at farms. Nowadays it is almost impossible to know wether you,re buying a healthy dog since their documents are falsified as well.
Believe me, we are putting a lawyer on the man that sold us the pup !

Any advice is welcome !

Mariska
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!