View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Default Expecting Parents - What to Look Forward to

Cute story - It might not be all good, but I'm sure you will enjoy every minute caring for the pups.

A Litter of Puppies: The True Story, by Judy Guile - Certified Obedience Trainer/Behaviorist

Early this morning, before coffee, I was removing soiled newspapers from the puppy's whelping box. The little balls of fur, just 4 weeks old, where hungry, playful and excited. Puppy barks pierced the morning quiet as I reached my hand in to take possession of yet more dirty news paper. Two of the eight puppies escaped, ran around behind me and began gnawing on my ankles and feet with their needle sharp teeth, while three others fought me for their soiled paper. Another pup who had stepped into poop was now affectionately sharing it with me as she painted my arms with her paws. One of the escapees decided to relieve himself where he thought I wouldn't notice. I caught the scent of his dastardly deed but by then it was too late, my robe was already draped into it. Still pushing puppies off the soiled paper, determined to "win" before they all join in the puppy poop painting party, I unintentionally knocked over their water dish. The water spilled out waking the remaining puppies, adding reinforcements to their defense.
Well my robe is in the washer, I have retrieved the escapees, scrubbed down and relined the whelping box, washed off smelly puppies, fed them and taken a shower. This morning was not unusual, however it brought to mind the many times I've heard people comment how "fun" it will be when their female has a litter of puppies. I thought perhaps it would be helpful to hear it from the horses mouth.
It can be rewarding but NOT fun!!! It's messy, time consuming, an inconvenience, expensive and occasionally heart breaking.
As I type I sit across the room from a whelping box of German Shepherd Puppies. One of them has been throwing a tantrum for six minutes solid! He has climbed upon his mother trying to use her as an escape rout out of the whelping box. (My study of puppy behavior has disclosed the true purpose why puppies are so determined to get out of their whelping box; So they can find a new and exciting place to poop!) Another puppy has pooped, on his brother, so I clean up the innocent victim. Just as I sit down I realize they have dumped over their water, so up I go again. They ate just a little while ago and yawns are a promise of peace, as they will soon nod off into a cozy little dog pile.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!