View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
DJ30
YT Addict

Default Spaying: Laser vs. Scalpel

I plan to get Angel spayed when she's at least 8 months old, which will be on Sept. 6. She was 2 lb. 12 oz. on July 4. Is this a safe weight? I'm sure she'll weigh more by the time she has the procedure done. I'm also going to ask the vet to remove all her baby teeth at the same time.

What are the pros and cons of using a laser and a scalpel?

The info I got from the vet's office says this:

"Assuming no problems are detected during the preanesthetic evaluation, a preoperative medication is given to relax your puppy and to allow for a smooth and safe induction of anesthetic." What preop meds are safe?

"About thirty minutes later a medication is given intravenously to induce sleep. This medication is called the induction agent and last only long enough to establish the maintenance of anesthesia with an anesthetic gas called Isoflurane." What meds are safe for this?

I'm not sure if my vet uses a laser or a scalpel. I'll find out at the next visit, which will be on Fri. Should I ask the vet to use internal sutures that dissolve, regular sutures that need to be removed, staples or cauterize if she uses laser?

What pain meds or antibiotics are safe? How long is recovery?

I've read that some people's babies got lumps at the incision site. Is this from both the scalpel and laser procedure? I only remember reading about it happening from a laser.

Thanks!

Last edited by DJ30; 07-17-2006 at 01:08 PM.
DJ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!