View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
dizpatch
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Phoebes' passing

Hi all, I am new to forum, the only reason I found it was because of Phoebes unforseen passing this past Monday.
After reading about Junebug I wanted to share what happened to Phoebe.
After puppy sitting Phoebe for 2 years her owners gave her to me last year. She was usually with me for 2 weeks out of each month anyways and they were just way to busy not to mention that they had 3 very active boys. They also said that when I would take her back home to them, she would sulk for days.
Phoebe would have been 5 in August and if you weighed her right after eating she weighed a mere 3lbs 9ozs on a very full belly.
So, what happened. I am not sure that I fully understand or maybe the better wording would be accept it. I had taken her out to go potty & she made a little noise ....a whimper. We came back in & I noticed a funny color of little blood droplets on the floor. Well being a female human I put 2 & 2 together and thought she must have a bladder infection. I called the vet, they said to bring her in, but that I would need to drop her off because they were booked, but that they would work her in. She trotted right over to her little carrier & away we went. She always rides on my lap, but because she had drippled the blood I put her in her carrier. She was not lethargic, she was not moaning, but she wasn't 100% herself either. 25 minutes later the vet called me & said that she need emergency surgery. Evidently when Phoebe had gone into heat a piece of the lining did not shed and stayed attached to the uterus. The cervix closed and an infection started. Evidently this type of infection weakens the uterus & leaks the infection into the abdomen.
I can honestly tell you she did not appear or act that sick!
Yes, Phoebe was intact. While her 1st family had toyed with the idea of breeding her, I never intendend to breed her. I choose not to have her spayed because of her small size & because when she first came to live with me on a full time basis, she was not in the best health. You could feel every bone on her, she also refused to eat for them.
I was given 15 minutes to make a decision on what to do. I was told that due to her size and the infection she may not make it through this surgery, one of the concerns was that the uterus would burst into her abdomen. They also said it was a very complicated surgery & if she did make it she may not make the recovery. I opted to let her go peacefully.
Phoebe was my companion. She went everywhere with me. My daughters are now 21, 18, & 16. So they are often to busy to hang out with mom. But Phoebe was never to busy and she always wanted to go.
I know that I will replace her, not only for myself but also for all of the people that Phoebe touched on a regular basis. One imparticular comes to mind. Nick. He would wait by the curb at his house, in his wheelchair until we would come by. Phoebe was small enough that she could sit on his lap and he could pet her on his own without someone needing to hold a dog up so that he could pet it.
Given what I have just gone through if you were to ask me, if I had it to do all over again would I have had her spayed? I still do not have the answer to that. I do realize that some breeders require it and in that situation you do not have a choice. But under 5lbs is so small to go under, and right now all that I do know is that I really miss her.
Sorry this is so long
dizpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!