View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #17
admin
Administrator

How do I transport my Yorkie?

If you are planning to take your Yorkshire Terrier somewhere via car, it is advisable to put him in a pet carrier, either soft or hard. While your Yorkie may growl for attention or try to escape the carrier, it is the safest position for it. While you may see many owners let their big dogs roam around the car while driving, it is dangerous. While you may be the safest driver in the world, not everyone else is. If someone rear ends you or you need to suddenly brake hard, your Yorkie could end up flying, which may result in serious injury or even death for your pet if it is not in a carrier of some sort. If your Yorkie is in your lap while driving, the force of an airbag deployment may also be potentially fatal.

I prefer to put my Yorkie in a soft carrier with his blanket and a "comfort item", such as one of my tee shirts or one of his toys. You can also keep your Yorkie occupied with a bone or other treat during the trip. I also put the carrier on the floor of the car, as putting the carrier on the seat could still lead to injury as most carriers are not able to be fastened in via a seat belt. I usually angle the carrier and position the front seat (if I do not have a passenger besides my Yorkie) so that the carrier is snug and will not roll. Early on in being a transport, I have accidentally made the carrier roll in the front seat area due to braking too hard.

Remember safety first, as you will not want to know later on that you could have prevented an accident. Please be careful out there!

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!