View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
admin
Administrator

I will be bringing my new Yorkie pup home soon, what do I need?

* A trusted qualified vet who specializes in smaller breeds
* Small kennel/crate
* Safe toys
* Grooming items, shampoo/conditioners, brush/comb
* Food (most often breeders recommend your Yorkie pup maintain the same diet that he/she is on when adopted. If you’d like to change your Yorkie’s diet change it gradually to decrease the chances of an upset tummy.
* Soft bed
* Food/water dishes. Plastic food and water dishes normally are not recommended as they can harbor harmful bacteria.
Harness type collar with leash*
Yorkshire Terrier handbooks for reference*

There will be some things that you will need to purchase and have ready after you get your Yorkie. He will need a bed, food, toys, hair brushes, food and water bowl, leash, and collar. If you plan on transporting your Yorkie much, you will also need to get a pet carrier.

Yorkie bed: Choose a bed with a good cushion with thick fabric. That will keep your Yorkie warm at night.

Food: Ask the breeder what food they have been feeding your Yorkie. They will have a good idea of what is good for Yorkies if they raise them. For "wet foods" I prefer Cesar, but other brands like Royal Canin will work as well. Get some dry kibble as well. I suggest small amounts of each in the beginning, as your Yorkie will show you what it likes and dislikes by it's eating of it.

Food and water dish: Get a dish with two sections, one for water, one for food. Steel dishes may be best for hygiene purposes but plastic dishes would work as well.

Toys: Get some soft plush toys for your Yorkie to play with. Any petstore should have plenty of soft toys to choose from. Be careful of toys that have materials that could fall off or splinter off, as it may injure your baby. You can also give them an old T-shirt of yours or an old tied up sock of yours. When you are gone, they like having your scent around.

Hair brushes: Get a brush or two so you can groom your Yorkie and take care of its coat. An air-cushioned wire brush and a natural bristle brush would be good choices.

Leash and collar: Get a leash and collar that fits your baby. A simple short leash shou

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!