Thread: Not a walker!!
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #15
woodturningcrea
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims822257
My Murphy is just about to turn 8 months old and I do not take him on consistent normal walks because I really do not think he likes them. I have never known a dog not to really enjoy his walks - has any one else had this problem? I would like to take him on a normal walk every morning and evening but when I do he seems to only want to walk about 8 houses down the street and than proceeds to sit on his bum and not move and refuses to go further. I have to turn around towards home and than and only than will he move. I have tried talking to him all the way through the walk and saying good boy – tried bribing him with cookies but nothing seems to get him to go past a certain point. It is not even a quarter of a mile that we walk – this is not long enough to get him used to walking is it? Also when he does walk the short distance he is all over the place - any suggestions on getting him to let me walk him not him walk me?
We brought Punkin home at 8 months and she was like this exactly. It drove me nuts! She would pull to come home or sit and not budge staring at the direction of home.

We just kept taking her for walks - always to the same place. We encouraged a lot and gave lot's of praise and after 2 months (2 long months) she began to love her walks. She gets all excited at the word walk and we can take her on a walk anywhere without problems.

I'm not sure if we approached the problem the right way - but it seems to have worked for us.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!