View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
sylvan
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of Yorkies
I have several people all interested in the same puppy. How do I choose who to go with? The first person sounds like she wants the puppy but she might choose her sister instead. I am taking both girls to meet with her on Sat. Also, both girls are over 7# and she might not take either one because of their size when she sees them. Another lady doesn't have enough money but she's offering me pick of the first litter when she breeds. She does want a larger girl. This one definately sounds like she wants the puppy. How should I choose? There are others interested in the same puppy but these two sound the most interested. Sylvia
Why would you consider giving a pup to someone who doesn't have enough money to buy it....but wants to Breed? What is she going to use for money to cover the normal vet bills involved, much less the unexpected ones that can come up?
I do not allow people to choose pups unless there are two very similar(and I mean similar temperment) in the same litter and I feel that either will be a good match. The Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test is a good tool to help you determine the temperment of the pup and make placements accordingly.
Here is the link..hope it is of some help.

http://www.workingdogs.com/testing_volhard.htm

INTERPRETATION OF SCORES Mostly 1's:
This dog is extremely dominant and has aggressive tendencies. It is quick to bite and is generally considered not good with children or the elderly. When combined with a 1 or 2 in touch sensitivity, will be a difficult dog to train. Not a dog for the in experienced handler; takes a competent trainer to establish leadership.

Mostly 2's:
This dog is dominant and can be provoked to bite. Responds well to firm, consistent, fair handling in an adult household, and is likely to be a loyal pet once it respects its human leader. Often has bouncy, outgoing temperament: may be too active for elderly, and too dominant for small children.

Mostly 3's:
This dog accepts human leaders easily. Is best prospect for the average owner, adapts well to new situations and generally good with children and elderly, although it may be inclined to be active. Makes a good obedience prospect and usually has a common sense approach to life.

Mostly 4's:
This dog is submissive and will adapt to most households. May be slightly less outgoing and active than a dog scoring mostly 3's. Gets along well with children in general and trains well.

Mostly 5's:
This dog is extremely submissive and needs special handling to build confidence and bring him out of his shell. Does not adapt well to change and confusion and needs a very regular, structured environment. Usually safe around children and bites only when severely stressed. Not a good choice for a beginner since it frightens easily, and takes a long time to get used to new experiences.

Mostly 6's:
This dog is independent. He is not affectionate and may dislike petting and cuddling. It is difficult to establish a relationship with him for working or as a pet. Not recommended for children who may force attention on him; he is not a beginner's dog.

a) When combined with 1's (especially in restraint); the independent dog is likely to bite under stress.

b) When combined with 5's the independent dog is likely to hide from people, or freeze when approached by a stranger.

No clear patterns (several 1's, 2's and 5's):
This dog may not be feeling well. Perhaps just ate or was recently wormed. Wait two days and re-test. If the test still shows wide variations (lots of 1's and 5's), it is probably unpredictable and unlikely to be a good pet or obedience dog.

SCORING TIPS 3 in Social Attraction and Social Dominance:
The socially attracted dog is more easily taught to come and is more cuddly and friendly. Its interest in people can be a useful tool in training, despite other scores.

1 in Restraint and 1 in Touch Sensitivity:
The dominant aggressive dog, insensitive to touch, will be a handful to train and extremely difficult for anyone other than an exceptionally competent handler.

5 in Stability:
This is likely to be a “spooky” dog which is never desirable. It requires a great deal of extra work to get a spooky dog adapted to new situations and they generally cannot be depended upon in a crisis.

5 in Touch and Sound Sensitivity:
May also be very “spooky” and needs delicate handling to prevent the dog from becoming frightened.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!