Thread: Update on Megan
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

It was probably metritis (inflammation/infection of the uterus), probably caused by retaining of a placenta or fetus. Always continue to monitor the Mom's discharge, odor and temperature.

9 is the largest litter I have heard about. With Megan's age I would definitely have an x-ray done about Day 55 so you know how many to expect and will know if for some reason she stops contracting (uterine inertia) and she still has more babies to deliver. I usually don't have ultrasounds performed, but I would definitely consider it with her.

How long has it been since she has been wormed? There are safe wormers to use while pregnant and dormant worms become activated during pregnancy. I always worm before breeding so I don't know what to recommend on this.

It nice that you are going to have someone experienced help you out. Two heads and four hands are always helpful.

I don't see anything wrong with duck (never have used it though). I feed a puppy formula dry, boiled egg, chicken, chicken livers (only once or twice a week), low fat cottage cheese, yogurt, and rice. She does need to put on weight, but too much weight can cause whelping complications so it should be good weight. As her belly grows, her stomach will not have as much room so she will need to be fed 4 small meals a day.

I don't know about going on vacation. I guess it depends on Megan's personality. Mine would be very upset, if I wasn't there and I would be worried how they would react about going somewhere else for 10 days at such a critical time.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!