Thread: Spay questions
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
AprilLove
My Three Hearts
Donating Member

Default Spay questions

Ok, so I am very nervous about having my baby spayed. After reading about the recent tragedies with routine spays, I am hesitant. I worried incessently with my bichon female and my maltese when they were spayed (more so because she was way smaller), and of course did not know all the right questions to ask, and with the Maltese, all the pre blood work was done, yet I did not feel at ease until the vet called when she was out of surgery and ok.
I am going to make an appointment soon, and have already discussed with vet about the bloodwork and whatnot. But I am confused about the pre-anesthesia painkiller, and what type of anesthitic. Is Isoflourine the recommended one and why have I read that people do not recommend having a pre shot of painkiller? Is it better for these little ones to just get the post op meds for pain? What type of barbituate is not good? What should she have for pain meds? Just want some more questions to ask the vet. AprilLove is still under 3 lbs, I want her spayed because it is the right thing to do for her health and I believe in keeping the pet population down. I don't want her to go into heat but I want her to be as big as she can possibly be before we do it. I love her sooo much. (I had thought strongly of getting a male just because the procedure is so much less invasive and my male bichon was barely affected by his neuter, in fact he took his own stiches out!!) But I am SOOO nervous! She will be my smallest furbaby going through the spay, the maltese was a little over 4 lbs when she had hers done(10 years ago) and she was 6 months old. Geez, can someone help ease a furbabys moms mind?? :-(

MaryKay
AprilLoves' Mommy
AprilLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!