View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 02:17 PM   #14
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Melissa, before we taught Toto anything else, we taught her the single word, "No". We just used a "firm" voice, not threatening, mean or loud! I believe that the biggest mistake when trying to teach them is to use mean, hateful tones or slap them around. I have seen that done along with hitting with newspapers! It makes me angry to see and hear this as it is absolutely not necessary! Once Toto grasped the meaning of "no" we moved on to other simple one word commands such as, "sit" & "stay". Early on in the brushing process I would insist that she allow me to brush her for only a few minutes at the time by holding her still. After she learned "no", I began to simply restrain her with the word ... still brushing no longer than a few minutes at the time! I simply let her know that she was going to be brushed and it could be pleasant! Gradually she would get in my lap when I called and showed her the brush and the day she turned over for her belly to be brushed ... I swear I heard the "Hallaleauh Chorus"!!! It just takes patience and persistence ... it's amazing how quickly they learn "routine"! I'm now just waiting for the day she brings me the brush!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!