View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
bren
Slave to Max 'n Abbie
Donating Member

Max was IMPOSSIBLE to house train. He held it fine when he was in his crate but not when he was outside his crate. He would, however, scratch the wall or door to let me know if he needed to go out but he would do it every 30-45 minutes It was exhausting but Abbie was housebroken very quickly because I would take her out when I took Max out. I don't even feel like I trained Abbie to go outside. She just seemed to have made the connection to go outside because I kept taking her out.

My suggestion would be to try to take her out very frequently. When she goes outside throw a BIG party for her--make a big fuss so she knows that she did something good. Use treats or verbal praise--just be patient and be consistent taking her out and praising her. She'll eventually make the connection. Some are house broken earlier than others. It took Max almost 2 1/2 years but he's been doing very well lately. I've left them in the living room unsupervised for up to 6 hours recently and there have not been any accidents.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!