View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
Yorkie3
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie
Twice daily feedings is preferable. It's the best way to know how much they're eating. Leave it out for 15 minutes, then pick it up. They'll get used to that schedule in a hurry. If you leave food out all the time, you can have weight problems.

I agree with Kona that you should leave water out all the time. Six hours seems long to be without water, and it could become a real concern if you're ever delayed coming home from work. And a housebroken Yorkie should have no problem holding its water for 6 hours.

Good luck.
I asked my Vet about this a couple years back about overweight dogs. He told me that very seldom do you see them overweight. They usually don't gorge themselves like humans. Those you do see overweight are usually fed a lot of treats, human food, and they don't get much exercise. I'm finding this to be true so far, none of my dogs are overweight and they range from 2 lbs 9 ozs to 83 lbs. (4 Yorkies and 1 Golden Retriever). They only get their dog food (I leave dry food and water out all day) and a couple treats a day and they get plenty of exercise. He did say a feeding schedule was a good way to train a puppy to pee pads or to go out. Do you find this mostly to be true?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!