Thread: Gardening
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
carleirulesme
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySissy
Is the ivy in the grass or along fence/house?

As far as the grass goes, is the grass thick, just full of crab grass, dandelions, clover, etc, or is the grass barely there and short?

My husband and I used to own a lawn care company, so I would consider myself somewhat of an expert here. This time of year, heavy doses of weed killer may kill the grass you do have because of the heat, so go easy on that. Keep the lawn watered well (at least 15 minutes per section in the morning every day or at the least every other day). Then, the lawn mower needs to be raised to a high setting (at least 2" of grass), otherwise you are cutting below the growth line and priming for more weeds. In the early fall, the lawn should be aerated with an actual aeration machine. Seeding can be done at any time of the year, but seed needs to wait at least 14 days after the last weed killer was put down and needs to be watered daily for at least 14 days. Adding grass will help to thicken the lawn. By thickening the lawn and raising the mower, your grass will become healthier, making it difficult for new weeds to grow.

If you decide to continue with weed killer, make sure you space out applications (no more than one a month) and apply during cooler weather. Water in both the fertilizer and weed killer well several hours after applying. Be very careful of letting your babies out on a lawn that has been chemically treated for at least 24 hours after the application and after it has been watered into the roots.

Sorry this is long, but hope it is at least somewhat helpful.
The ivy was growing on the house, that's been snipped and cut... there's a lot in the yard though..
the grass is short and turning yellow.. some spots are green and there's not much weeds in the area.. we have a TON of those "tree of heaven", "stinking shumac" in the yard, they are relentless!!!.. I will tell Hubby to raise the mower when he cuts next... and, I guess we'll start watering more, we haven't gotten much rain at all this year....
thanks for the help.. you're in Michigan too so yeah LOL
I want nice thick grass that's soft.. ours is not that right now lol
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!