View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #15
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I just couldn't put this little guy to sleep.

The notice on PuppyFind said that "he is alert, barks, gives kisses and is just as cute as can be, his brain doesn't know how to tell his body to work so Petie can't walk real well". (He can get around a little -- but not very well.)

His quality of life is all that he has ever known. I'm sure he has adjusted to this and is able to enjoy life very much - and he is certainly capable of being loved and loving back.

I was thinking that even though he doesn't get around well - he certainly could be put in a carrier and go many places. And, he can have different places to lie down around the house where he can always be with people.
(When my dog was a pup - I had a bed in almost every room -so that he could be where I was.) And, he probably lies around and sleeps a lot - but all of our dogs do this.

This little guy has already had his surgery - and I don't think there is a lot of testing that he needs to go through in the future. At this point, I am hoping that someone with a kind (and very strong heart) will take him home and enjoy the rest of his life with him. I am sure whoever does this will feel that they have been given as much from him as they gave to him. I honestly feel that it would be a privilege to take care of this little guy. I really wish I could.

****** I have had to put pets to sleep before. My dear cat that was 14 years old and getting thinner and thinner and finally couldn't eat..... and my favorite dog of my life because of an injury. I know there are times when this is the kindest thing to do - and we all know it is heartbreaking and not an easy thing to do.

I just don't think this little pup needs to be put to sleep. His ability to get around has been compromised, and he may live only a few years, but he is certainly capable of being loved and kept comfortable during that time. And, most of all, I know he will give a lot of love and happiness back to any person who takes him home. He has a lot to offer whoever chooses to share his life with him.

-------------------

With all the experience I have had in medicine, I can't tell you how many babies are born with hydrocephalus (the same problem this little pup has). And these little babies all had to have the same operation the pup had (a shunt placement). Also these babies often have diminished mental capacities and gait and other problems. It would never enter anyone's mind that they shouldn't live as long and as comfortable a life as possible to its fullest extent.

This isn't a pet that is old and sick and in pain. It is a young little puppy that was born with what I would call a handicap - and, unfortunately, because of it, he can't live as long as other dogs do. I still wish I could take him. I would.

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!