View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
BabyFidgette
Learn Yorkie CPR!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWa
I think a little pup with hydrocephalus is a very sad situation - and it's true that they usually don't live beyond two years or so.

The surgery they are talking about is probably a "shunt" so that the fluid can be drained.

Toy breeds like our little Yorkies are often affected with this - and some cases are more severe than others. But, this poor little guy's gait is affected, so he has a somewhat severe case.

And - to make matters worse, these little dogs are usually mentally handicapped as well - They can learn anything very easily with things like potty training being even more difficult than usual.

And to make matters worse, sometimes the surgery isn't successful.

Yes - I think this is sad - even though the poor little guy has a very serious condition - I doubt he is in any pain. And, such a sweet little thing he is. It would break my heart to put him to sleep.

If the surgery didn't cost so much - I wouldn't put him to sleep. I would try to keep him happy and comfortable for as long as I could. But, given the cost of the surgery and everything else involved, it is probably what will end up being done.

It's a sad story.....

Carol Jean

Carol Jean
So are they saying that the adopter has to be willing to pay $6,000 for surgury, will the rescue pay and give him surgury, or if he doesn't get adopted (for someone to pay his bills) he'll be put to sleep? I'm confused. Thanks!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!