View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #14
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

You've made it clear you don't have a lot of time. I agree that 15 mins a day is actually better than 2 hours once a week. But one more suggestion you may or may not be able to do. Around here we have dog-walkers and pet-sitters. Obviously a dog walker or pet sitter doesn't want to walk a dog that pulls, so maybe hiring one would not only get some of his energy out but also teach him how to walk nicely on leash!

Also, here is the link to CCPDT. http://ccpdt.org/rstr/OH.html The trainers are listed by state and city, although Loki's trainer is listed with the town where she lives, which is about 20-30 mins from where her business is located. So you might have to call around to see if they are willing to travel. Training is SO important and yes, it can be expensive (trust me, I know) but once the dog learns you only need to maintain. I mean, once they learn what sit and stay mean you don't have to keep going to classes to practice sit and stay, right? The class is actually for the human anyway - the dog learns at home!

These things really do work if you put the time into them. Maybe the kids will even enjoy it?? When I take Loki to the park the kids want to pet him, but when I hand them a treat and tell them to ask for a sit or a shake and give him a treat, and THEN pet him, they get really excited! They all want a turn to ask him to roll over or high five! And they know the rules, that he isn't allowed to jump up, etc. I've got a couple of the neighbor kids really into it - they know his commands and like to show off his tricks to their friends whenever we walk by!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!