View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

[QUOTE=ddiedre]I have 4 different harnesses for this guy. None of which "control" anything. I've tried the stopping-thing. When I did, I'd only get about a step or 2 and then have to stop again. He doesn't like any treat I've offered.

I'm well aware of the potential for tracheal collapse and have only resorted to the choker out of desperation.

He doesn't "heel" when we walk with the harness, he pulls. He pulls out in front of me and essentially runs but because he's attempting to run faster than I am walking he looks like he's running on a treadmill. When I try to give a little tug, indicating that I'm trying to assert control, he either doesn't get it or I wind up pulling him off the ground. He only weighs 2.5 lbs. I don't try to jerk him, it's just that harnesses just don't get the message through to his over-active mind. I've even stopped and made him roll over, to show him I'm the leader. It works for the moment, but to have to do that every 2 steps....is that reasonable?
QUOTE]

Yes 2 steps is about right. But if you do it every day for a week I bet it will improve. When I started this with Loki we'd walk our normal route around the neighborhood, but it took us 5 times as long with all the stopping. By the end of the week he had drastically improved and I only had to stop 3 or 4 times. In our Canine Good Citizen test the dogs have to walk without pulling. One of the dogs in the class (big boxer) pulled SO hard the owner didn't think he would ever improve. By the 4th class he could walk a few steps and by the final class he PASSED the test. All with treats and no choke collar. This was an 8 week class. So I've seen it happen even with the most difficult cases.

He doesn't have to "heel" he just needs to keep slack in the leash. "Heel" is different than loose leash walking. You can teach that also, but it's different. To teach "heel" we used a target stick with peanut butter on it. It worked, but wasn't a command we need in our every day lives so we didn't really persist with it. But the technique works. (You don't need a real target stick, we used a dowel rod. Others used a wooden spoon. When he walks beside you he gets a lick.) The whole point of loose leash walking is that you don't have to PULL on the dog to "assert control" In fact, the best suggestion I've ever read is to attach the leash to your belt loop so you aren't tempted to pull on the leash. The dog WILL learn to respond to verbal cues and hand signals.

The "alpha roll" doesn't work. If anything it just makes the dog more fearful.

Also, I don't know if this works in your case, but for Loki it does. If I pick up my pace just a little bit, we have zero pulling. He just has a TON of energy and wants to walk quickly. Not a run or anything, but just quickly. Once we go a couple blocks and he's more relaxed he's happy to walk at my slow pace. Maybe try running with him for a block or two, THEN practice walking nicely. Just like making the kids run around the car 20 times before going on a long trip!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!