View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

OK first of all, Cesar Millan isn't the best place to get your info about training dogs or about animal behavior. I don't know how he gets a TV show and all the other good trainers out there don't. There are no requirements in the US to be a dog trainer. He advocates this "calm, assertive energy" but then doesn't explain to owners how to do it. And his choke and correction methods fell out of favor long ago. You said your dog is biting when you correct him. Of course he is. It hurts. He is trying to tell you to stop doing that. DO NOT use a choke collar. There are simple no-pull harnesses out there for under $20. We like the "Easy walk" by Premier. There is also the gentle leader and others out there. Loki walks even on his collar now without pulling. It's easy to teach, you just reward the dog for keeping slack in the leash and when they pull, you stop. Pull, stop, slack, reward. They get it really quickly. You can also teach the watch command.

This is not dominance. He's a terrier! They have prey drives. If he is uncomfortable around dogs he is probably also scared. (I call it "small dog syndrome") He just neds some positive training to re-direct that behavior. Since you said you can't go to classes, there are a ton of good books you can read. Check out your library for books by Patricia McConnell, Pat Miller, Brenda Aloff, Karen Pryor, Jean Donaldson, Paul Owens and Ian Dunbar. The books have excellent information, but honestly your time would be better spent with one or two sessions with a trainer. The books can only help you diagnose what you observe - a trainer will pick up clues you might miss. They can set you on a plan with positive reinforcement to help your dog improve in these settings. Please consider it. If you want additional information or more specific recommendations let me know. I'm happy to look through my collection for specific sections that relate to this. If you do hire a trainer, try to find a CPDT Certified Pet Dog Trainer and/or someone with a degree or experience in animal behavior.

You are definately not alone with this. With a lot of work and a LOT of treats, this problem can be improved. You can teach him to watch you and to take cues from you. Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!