View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiedre
I have 4 different harnesses for this guy. None of which "control" anything. I've tried the stopping-thing. When I did, I'd only get about a step or 2 and then have to stop again. He doesn't like any treat I've offered.

I'm well aware of the potential for tracheal collapse and have only resorted to the choker out of desperation.

He doesn't "heel" when we walk with the harness, he pulls. He pulls out in front of me and essentially runs but because he's attempting to run faster than I am walking he looks like he's running on a treadmill. When I try to give a little tug, indicating that I'm trying to assert control, he either doesn't get it or I wind up pulling him off the ground. He only weighs 2.5 lbs. I don't try to jerk him, it's just that harnesses just don't get the message through to his over-active mind. I've even stopped and made him roll over, to show him I'm the leader. It works for the moment, but to have to do that every 2 steps....is that reasonable?

This is something I've been struggling with for 2 years now.
Poor thing. You sound exasperated. How about obedience training or even a private instructor?

As for the constant corrections and direction changes on the walk, my opinion is that it's worth the effort. Carve out 15 minutes at least once a day to work on leash behavior. Don't even consider it a walk. It's leash training. If he balks every two steps, stop every two steps. Change directions. If you're using a harness, you won't be hurting him. The only thing being tested will be your patience. Do this at least once a day for two weeks. One thing working against you is he's gotten away with bad behavior for two years. It's not going to clear up overnight.

My only success with something similar was when Eddie ran from me every day when I tried to put booties on him for the snow. This went on for two weeks, but I refused to give up. I'd pick up the booties, and he'd run under the bed or behind the couch. But I enlisted help, caught up to him every single day, put on the booties and walked with him. Sometimes he would only walk a couple steps with a treat in front of his nose. I settled for that and ended our walks. Eventually, and it was almost two weeks, he just gave up. He learned to walk in them and he quit fighting me to get them on. Now he loves them.

And I agree with livingdustmops on treats. Keep experimenting until you find something he wants. I've even used tiny pieces of hot dogs.

But again. I'm no dog whisperer. In fact, I'm more of a hollerer. A trainer will have better advice.

Good luck!

Edit: I just read your last post. If you can only walk him every other weekend, my advice won't work. Sorry.

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 07-08-2006 at 03:02 PM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!