View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
ddiedre
Yorkie Yakker

May I clarify about the choker? It is not a chain. It is a nylon material that is the same material that the harnesses and leashes are made of. It is about 1/2 inch thick. I've even done what I've seen The Dog Whisperer do and that's turn the handle of a leash into a loop-like choker. The leash is at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. It does not get tight. He does not choke. He makes a slight snorting sound which is as close to choking as I like to get. When he does that, I stop.

I've hesitated posting my concerns because of this choker issue. Again, I am aware of the dangers it poses. That's why I have asked for some other solutions. I don't want to hurt my dog. I love him with all my heart. But I want to teach him to walk with me. I can only walk with him about every other weekend or so. I live on a pretty busy highway. I work 6:30a-6p, 5 days a week. I've asked my family to walk with him, but they won't until I get him trained. Besides, my children are typical lazy children of this age. They don't do anything that I have not begged, paid for or threatened them to do. Although I have put walking the dog on their list, they seem to "forget". I do not live near a Petco or Petsmart. As it is, I drive an hour and a half just to get his food.

I also have this issue with how he reacts to other animals. And I don't think it's O.K. to chalk it up to "typical yorkie behavior". Just because we have little dogs that are spoiled and well-loved doesn't mean they have to be little beasts that embarass whenever they're around other dogs. There's got to be some answer to his behavior in this regard.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!