View Single Post
Old 07-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
ddiedre
Yorkie Yakker

Default Help with "anti-social" yorkie

Help. My male yorkie, Jig has some behavioral issues. I've watched "The Dog Whisperer", visited numerous dog behavioral websites and tried the techniques, but either it's not working or I'm not doing it right.

Jig is the picture of delight and happiness at home. Whenever we take him out in public (we travel with an RV), he can be a nightmare. As soon as he sees another animal, whether it's dog, bird, chipmunk, cat, etc.......he loses his mind. He barks, attempts to run and often does, will bite if we attempt to correct him, snarl. He seems to get very excited, then all he// breaks loose as soon as he sees the other animal. He's O.K. with other people, including children.

I've also had trouble with walking him. He used to pull like he was running on a treadmil in place in front of me. I had to put a choker on him and kind of train him to walk by my side. He'd doing better, but basically he's choking himself the whole time and I'm afraid of tracheal damage.

I believe this is a dominance issue and according to something I saw on Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer, he's got some anti-social tendancies. But I simply don't know what more to do with him. I can't afford trainers and with my work hours, my personal time is limited. This has got to be something that I myself or my family can do. As I said, he's wonderful at home. It's when other animals are detected.

Please help. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!