View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #3
Gayle_T
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnna
Hello everyone. I'm hoping I can get some answers from some of you with silky coated straight haired babies. Abbie is my first Yorkie. She's 18 months old now and it seems to me her coat is growing very, very slowly and it's very fine and thin. I think she's considered a silky coat based on one, the texture it feels to me and two, her eyes reflect green. (See how much I've learned from this website?) We live in Central Florida and it's so very hot here. I've thought about cutting her shorter but because it's so fine and stick straight, I'm afraid it will look choppy. My groomer just left (she comes to my house, I'm so lucky) and she was going to use a clipper comb that leaves the hair with a 1 1/4" length. I told her I'll do some more research and let her know next time.
Also, her mustache gets so crusty I guess from saliva and when she pees, she always wants to sniff where she just peed (To make sure it's hers?!?!?)so of course it gets smelly very fast. How do you all keep your babies faces clean? I bathe her at least once a week and her face gets washed about every 3 days but honestly could use it every day. I use a washcloth but I have a hard time getting the odor and crustiness out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Living in Central Florida you might want to also consider that your Yorkie can sunburn if it's skin is exposed to the sun. We had a Silky Terrier that was very silver and silky thin coated. We would have to apply a dog sun screen in areas where her hair would part when she was cut short and out in the sun.
Gayle_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!