View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
lilygurl
Yorkie Yakker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonieDog
I am desperate for any help anyone can give me!!! When we got her, they said she was pee-pee pad trained.. WRONG!!!!!! She pees all over the house. So then we decided to get her a cage and train her for the outside. We got her kind of a big cage and tied her leash to it so she could just go in and out and not feel trapped. But, we had pee-pee pads by the cage so if she needed to go while we were gone she could. She did great for like a week. And then she started peeing a pooping all over the carpet again. So, then we decided to get her the smallest cage b/c "a dog will never go where it sleeps" YEAH RIGHT!!!!! I came home yesterday after 3 hours being in her cage and she pooped and peed in it and just was laying in it and didn't give a crap. Then I cleaned it and had to leave again, and after 3 more hours she had peed in it again! I don't know what to do. My fiancee and I are at our breaking point we just don't know. We need any help you can give us.

I think potty training was a bit easy for me because I stay home so I was able to watch my babies closely. It’s very hot down here so I thought of only training her for pee pads indoors. My concern was that I have carpet and didn’t want any accidents on it. When I first got her she was never trained so I let her run around one room only. I began with two pads to make sure she have enough room to walk around and sniff and then go. When I would see her squat on the carpet I’d call her name loudly to catch her attention and run and take her to the pad quickly. I pretty much just wanted the scent of her pee to stay on the pad so she’d know she’s to go there. (Sometimes I wouldn’t catch her in time so I would tell her no peepee and then take her to her pad and say peepee here, then I would put her in her cage. Since I never put her in her cage she knows that she’s being punished.) After the first pad had quite a bit of pee on it I threw away the poop with a paper towel and put a fresh pad over the peed pad so she’d still remember to pee there. After she’d finish I’d clap and praise and give her a treat, I’d always keep the treats closeby. She learned pretty quickly after that but about 3 weeks after I had taught her to go there suddenly she didn’t want to go there anymore and became very stubborn.

I had to get serious with her when that happened. So when I saw her sniffing around like she usually would when she’d want to pee, I would take her to the pad corner and sit there with my legs open so she could not pass me. She would try to jump over my legs and run across and just try everything to get away. But she had to understand that I was going to be just as persistent as she was, so I would not budge for as long as she needed. It takes patience, trust me. Finally she’d go and I’d praise her and give her a treat and let her pass. I did that maybe 2 or 3 more times before she understood. Also remember to change the pad regularly, if there is too much waste on it they won’t want to go on it anymore. There are also tons of yorkie and dog books that have very useful information. Before I found YT, books were my helpful friends. Good luck!
lilygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!