View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
jank
Yorkie Talker

This is what I do with Cooper and Annie and it is probably not the best but so far has worked for me. I had heard that small dogs, yorkies in particular, were hard to completely train and I did not want urine soaked carpet. My two have each had their own separate x-pens from day one with their bed, potty pad and water in them. I have them in our carpeted family room but the x-pens are on pieces of vinyl that I bought at Home Depot. That way if they miss the potty pad, which is something Cooper is good at, it doesn't get on the carpet. This is where they sleep at night and they are very comfortable and happy with them. It's like they have their own bedrooms. I open them up in the morning and they are free to go in and out to potty or sleep during the day. When I have to leave that is where they go. They have a large area to run around in since the family room, kitchen, laundry room and office are all in that area. They are not allowed any where else in the house and I use baby gates to keep them in that area. This is not to say we didn't have problems at first. Cooper, especially, was hard to train. Annie caught on pretty quickly. Annie will now go both outside and uses her potty pad inside. Cooper will sometimes go outside but mainly uses his potty pad. Since he has had his knee issues he stays inside most of the time. My husband, (boy, those husbands can be a pain sometimes), doesn't really like having the x-pens but it helps the yorkies to know what they are supposed to do and not get confused. And at night I put them in their beds cover them with their blankets and never hear a peep out of them all night. This has worked great for me but I am always open to other suggestions.
jank is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!