View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Pedialyte is an electrolyte solution which should be used anytime one gets diarrhea. It will prevent dehydration and restore the electrolyte balance. If the dog is in really bad shape I give every hour around the clock by syringe.

Nutristat, Nutrical, Nutridrops (fastest acting, longest lasting) all provide sugar to prevent low blood sugar. Also Karo, I've actually always used light Karo in a pinch, but I read the other day that you should use Dark Karo??? This restores the blood's glucose level if given in time. That's why most of us use it routinely until the puppies are 3 months or so and then just give 3 or 4 times a week as a treat. If the puppy does not respond to the Nutristat a vet can give an injection of glucose.

Neosporin is an antibiotic ointment and prevents infection of small cuts and scrapes.

Hydrogen peroxide - 1/2 teaspon (per 5 pounds) is a good way to induce vomiting of a swallowed poison, but if the poison is caustic you would not want to induce vomiting. I posted a link under "Milo ate cigarettes" that has a list of which toxins should be vomited and which should not.

Thermometer and KY jelly for taking temperature.

A couple of jars of baby food chicken meat. This is pureed chicken and I've never seen one that won't eat it. At a $1.00 for a very small jar it's expensive, but if they won't eat it's worth it.

Here's something I got from the web:
Chihuahua First Aid Kit

Chihuahua Parents should always be prepared in case of emergency. Here is a recommended first aid kit to have on hand in a convenient place.

Nutrical or Energel - available from veterinarians or pet supply stores. A meat flavored gel high in calories and nutrients. Used to treat hypoglycemia, malnourishment or any pet who is off their food.
Lanatone - available from pet supply stores. Lanatone is actually a feline hairball remover, but also works as a laxative for small dogs. Administer three times daily as a laxative, a portion equal to the size of the tip of a woman's pinky finger for every 4 lbs. of Chihuahua. Use one dose weekly to help prevent anal sac impaction if your Chi is susceptible to that.
Neosporin - Use on small cuts and wounds to prevent infection.
Hydrogen Peroxide - Use to make your Chi vomit after ingesting something he shouldn't eat. Give 10 ml. with a second dose 10 minutes later if needed. Do not use if your Chi has ingested acid or other caustic substances. If this happens, administer milk to dilute the substance and call your vet IMMEDIATELY.
Children's Benadryl - Use for allergic reactions from an insect bite or plant pollen . Use 1/2 mg. per pound, every eight hours, but no more than 3 total doses. Also call your vet for advice.
Kaopectate - For diarrhea, give 1 ml. per pound every 2 hours. If no improvement after 12 hours, call your vet (sooner if your Chi is especially small.)
Baby food chicken meat - Good to have on hand if your Chi isn't feeling well and won't eat. Easy to digest.
Styptic Powder or wipes - Stops bleeding. Use powder on a piece of gauze and press firmly to wound or broken nail. In an emergency, you can also use a wet teabag. Press teabag to area until it stops bleeding.
Syringe - 1 ml. and 3 ml. sizes, without needles. Use the smaller syringe to administer medicines and the larger syringe for water if you need to force liquids.
Thermometer - A small digital thermometer is usually available for a few dollars at supermarkets or pharmacies. Clearly label the thermometer for canine use only. You may also want to purchase the disposable thermometer sleeves for easy clean-up. Temperatures for Chihuahuas are taken rectally and should be between 101 to 103 degrees F. It's a good idea to take your Chi's temp when well so that you have a baseline to compare to. Insert the thermometer 1'' into the rectum for larger Chis and 3/4" for small Chis.
KY Jelly - for easier insertion of the thermometer. Vasoline also works, but KY is water soluble.
Tweezers - Tapered point works best. Used for pulling out thorns and splinters or removing ticks.
Vet wrap - This is a bandage material that sticks to itself. It is also available in pharmacies as a human bandage. Either works. Use to wrap wounds and fractures.
Tongue depressor - Can be used as a splint to keep a leg straight until you get to the vet. Use with vet wrap. Also handy for forcing a Chi's mouth open to check for foreign substance.
Gauze - for oozing or bleeding wounds.
Muzzle - even the gentlest Chis may bite when in pain or scared. For your safety and your Chis, use a muzzle if necessary. If you cannot find a muzzle small enough for your Chi, a thin old tie works well. Wrap around muzzle, crossing underneath and bring ends around neck, tie. Make sure that the Chi's nose is not covered and airflow is not restricted.
Vet's number and Poison Control number - You can forget the vet's number when you are stressed, so make sure it's written down close to the phone or put it on speed dial. Poison control can also give you advice on canines when they have ingested poisons.
This by no means replaces your veternarian's advice and care. I recommend that you seek your vet's advice in all health matters.

Last edited by Lacy's Mom; 07-06-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!