Thread: Hawks
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #14
Oscar's Mom
My Little Biker Dude
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debi_s
We live in a rural area in the upstate of South Carolina. Many years ago the Dept Of Natural Resources released 3 pair of hawks near here trying to
re-establish a colony. We have really enjoyed watching them over the years....they are indeed quiet and graceful.

But..now with having Apple (4 1/2 pound chihuahua) and Lil Bit (3 1/2 pound yorkie) I stay in a state of panic whenever we are outside. Apple and Lil Bit LOVE running around the yard and sniffing and chewing and dragging sticks around. We have spent a fortune fencing in a VERY LARGE area for our greyhound (also very graceful) and felt good about letting her and our former yorkie (13 pounds!!!!) run around the yard unsupervised......

But NOT with the 2 little ones. I watch them like "a hawk"...We are outside alot (with the grandkids) and I feel like my head is going to unscrew and fly off trying to watch EVERYONE & EVERYTHING......I really watch the sky very closely!

Also fearful of OWLS!!!!

If I ever win the lottery I would spend anything to "enclose" the fenced area with some kind of wide netting......I have actually tried to talk my hubby (a builder) into trying to dream up something we could do with a part of the yard........
I know what you mean...we see at least 10 a day where we live. You could frame up and apply screen or shade cloth over part of your yard. Then partition that part off for the babies...that way the hawks might see them, but could not get to them...kind of what you might see on screened pool enclosure. It might work. I always keep Oscar on a leash, because unlike Gus, Oscar would NOT come to me...he has a stubborn streak a mile wide and won't come when called...drives me crazy...but we just keep him on a leash for safety's sake.

Debbie G. - Oscar's Mom

"Greet everyone as you would your dog"
Oscar's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!