Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Heartworm can be a fatal disease that is transmitted by misquitos. Your vet will tell you if your dog needs to be on it. in some areas there are no misquitos so dogs don't need to be on a heartworm protector, but in most areas they need to be on something like interceptor or Heartguard.

Worms that can be found in the stool are not related to heart worms. Its true that some heartworm preventors have extra meds in it to protect against round worms, hook worms, and whip worms, but not all heartworm meds have this. that's why i recommend interceptor and heartguard. the worms that are found in the stool are transmitted by parasites that dogs pick up outside from another infected dogs poop. all they have to do is step in it and lick their foot or eat the poop and they can get infected.

Fleas and ticks are protected against by a different medication. I recommend Frontline plus. Its excellent and i've never had a problem with it. however some people say it doesn't work in their area and they use advantix instead. Its used for preventing fleas and ticks, basically it kills them when they bite the dog. Dogs should be on flea prevention during the spring to fall months. in my area that's from april-november.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!