View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
Kizzys Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccoy
We had the same problem with one of our dogs, except that he freaks out when we come home. So here is what the vet told us.

He said that, not on purpose, we did something to him to make him freak out when people came over or when we came home. Something happened at an early age to make him think us coming home was something to get excited over.

So we put him in the crate half an hour before we leave and ignore him. We go about our business. Then we leave. Same thing when we come home, ignore him for a half hour. Then take him outside to use the potty and bring him back inside. For another half hour, ignore him. We let him do his and play inside. Then we give him attention.

So far it has worked. I know the situation is a bit different. But maybe you could try putting your baby in the crate before people come over, let your guests make themselves comfortable and then let the dog out, then do the ignoring thing for a half hour. That way, there won't be anything to be excited over.
lol, sounds like a good idea but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you just don't know Kizzy. Once she got out of the crate first thing she would do is run to our guest, give a big jump right into their lap and be all over them I believe. But I am gonna try it and if she does that then I will recrate her again and maybe she will get the message thats why. People cant just reach down and pet her or speak to her and her go away or leave them alone. She keeps raring up on them and if they have on short and she slides toenails down their legs, It dont feel good.
I keep her nails cut but you cant cut their nail short enough that they cant still scratch you. so i'm gonna start putting her in her crate when someone comes to the door as soon as I catch her. lol. She is the fastest dog i've ever seen in my life and if she dont want me to pick her up well, then not too much I can do about it. I wont chase her then she thinks its a game and surely wont come. So I usually ignore her and then she comes wagging a toy to me to play and I still ignore her for a good while. But I will try to get to her and pick her up and put her in her crate soon as soon as I hear someone because once the doorbell rings she starts running wild from where ever she is to the front door. grrrrrrr, I got to do something to stop this. thanks for everyones advice.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!