View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
gr8yorkiecraze
Senior Yorkie Talker

Cry Ant bites are dangerous!

I took Riley (15 wks old) outside to potty this afternoon after a major rain storm this morning. She was fine one minute & then she moved & I saw ants coming out out of grass. Riley started to rub her body in the grass. I hurried & picked her up. Her underside was covered in ants. I raced to the water faucet but the ants were everywhere. I ran in the house screaming her help. Between me. my daughter & my husband we got the ants off. But she had lots of bites. She was shivering & very quiet. I called her vet but they just said to watch her & bring her in if she started to swell. I was still concerned. I called my friends that own a pet store. They told me to give her 1/8 teaspoon of Benedryl & put Hyrocordizone on the bites. Funny, I felt better about their advise than the vet's!

About 30 minutes after I noticed Riley's was having a hard time keeping her left eye open. I again called the vet & they said bring her in. Apparently, the poison from the ants effected her eye. They found 5 dots (scratches) on the color of her eye. I'm to give her eye drops & Benedryl every 8 hours & I have to take her back on Wednesday.

I'm so glad I brought her in. The vet said if the scratches get infected, Riley could lose her eyesight. Needless to say, Riley's staying right by my side.
gr8yorkiecraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!