View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
patcowden
Yorkie Talker

Default My little guy is sick!

Hi All,
My new little puppy "Baxter" became seriously ill over the weekend. We have had him for 7 days, he is 7 weeks old. I now know he was too young to leave his mamma but he was brought to us and we didn't know any better. Anyway, he started having diarrhea about 3 days ago, refused to eat or drink. On Sunday, I sat him in front of his water dish and he just fell over. I thought he was going to die. I found an emergency vet and took him right over. They gave him dextrose in his veins and some antibiotic. I got to bring him home that afternoon, since he seemed to be doing better. The vet was not able to get enought of a stool sample to test because of the runniness of the bowel. He was eating again and drinking so we thought it was just hypoglycemia. I got up during the night a couple of times to feed him and he ate and drank OK. Then this morning he would not eat or drink. I was to take him back to get his IV taken out, He had a bowel movement right when we got to the vet so they tested it and he has coccidia. They have given him Albon and also an anti diahrrhea medicine. He ate well this afternoon, but I had to force some pedialyte in him with an eyedropper. My question is if anyone has dealt with this, about how long till I see some improvement in his appetite. I am giving him anything he will eat right now, (boiled chicken, baby food turkey, cheese) just to keep his blood sugar up. I will worry about real dog food when he has recovered. I feel so sorry for the little guy and I am bound and determined to save him. Please give me any advice you can.
Pat
patcowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!