Thread: Foster mom
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
lksdolls
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnalegria
Tuesday eve I got a frantic phone call. A young lady had a litter of yorkie puppies that had been born on Sat/Sunday. 2 naturally on Sat and two by C-section on Sunday.

The puppies mom would not take care of the puppies- and the owner was tired with the bottle feeding aspect , It is a lot of work and only had one puppy left.

I told her to bring her female and the puppy over and I would see what I could do to help her. The baby weighed just a tad under 2 ounces. I tried to force the mom to lay down and take care of this little mite- she refused and wanted nothing to do with the baby. She was not acting at all loving and trustworhty with the baby. You could see that she was afraid of the baby and it could be harmed by her. She simply wanted to sit in her owners lap. She had not bonded with this baby at all and was not going to.

I kept the baby and placed him with a litter of puppies that I have that are two weeks old. My momma even though a first time mom herself has been taking care of this little one. I bottle fed him the first night and we have him up to 4 ounces today. He is still not out of the woods but he has a chance at life.

It is very shocking to look at this little mite in with the bigger babies. He is curled up with the larger kids and is nursing along with the rest of the gang.
I am so proud Of Reva for taking this baby on as her own and for the good care that she is giving him as well as her own.

This is the first litter that I have had for a long time and it is good to hear baby noises in the house again. Hope that one of my three will be my baby for the show ring next year. I just have to sit back and watch them grow and enjoy.
I find God works in mysterious ways. Roxie nearly died when she was born as her mom ripped the cord off and she wouldn't quit bleeding, and of course it was 4am. I held her on a heating pad on my lap with my thumb on her tummy, gently tapping on her chest as I was unable to get all the mucus out. Needless to say, she bonded with me and me with her and I couldn't give her up. Many times we said that it was a miracle she lived and it wasn't until April that we found out why. God had plans for her. When she was only 8 months old she gave birth. It wasn't planned, I was delivering her mom's litter and had a complication with one of the pups and Roxie was in heat and was nailed right behind my back. I was like between a rock and a hard place. When Roxie had her puppies, she was so young and so attached to me that all she wanted to do was sit on my lap. So that's what I did, moved the babies to my lap too. It only took a couple of times and she understood. My matriarch, Reggie, died in April, 8 days after giving birth to 6 pups, one boy and five girls. We lost the little boy the day before Reggie left us. It was two weeks later that Reggie's granddaughter, Roxie, developed milk. It was then that I knew why God wanted her to live. I continued to hand feed and by then they were also on mushy food. Roxie is our miracle mama.

I can't wait to see pictures of your troop. Only best wishes and success in the coming weeks to you, your mama, her babies, and especially for the little guy!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!