View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Maybe I spoke hastily - all the information does say "unless vet advised", but I still think I would bring this to the vet's attention, let us know what she says.

Another from the internet, there is tons of them.

A Word About Supplements

Some veterinarians recommend giving dogs vitamins during pregnancy. Many veterinarians feel that if fed properly, the dog will receive sufficient nutrients through the diet. Either way, don’t add anything to your dog’s diet unless specifically instructed by your veterinarian. Excessive of certain vitamins or minerals can have devastating effects on mom and babies.

Calcium is one supplement that deserves some special attention. Supplementing a pregnant dog is definitely not recommended. Giving calcium supplementation, especially late in pregnancy, has been linked to increasing the risk of eclampsia (low blood calcium) in nursing dogs. Excess calcium has also been linked to difficult deliveries, soft tissue calcium deposits in the puppies and certain joint abnormalities in the pups. For this reason, do not supplement your pregnant dog with calcium unless specifically instructed by your veterinarian.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!