View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 05:52 AM   #12
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggieluv2
I really appreciate your comments. Your feelings about the pee pads are issues that I have feared like peeing on my rugs and not being able to take her to other people's houses without fearing her peeing on rugs or carpet. I have done a lot of reading and most of the authors have the same view point as you--the house is off limits for peeing and pooping. This makes sense. Like I said earlier, it is just frustrating when they just don't seem to be getting that concept. I have tried everything I can think of. I can't tell you how many times I've thought---Oh I give up, she is never going to get this!! She is 7 months old now and I know, I've been told not to expect much until they are about a year.

Can I ask your opinion on the crate size? I have tried 2 different crates with her. One of them is a very small crate--big enough for her to turn around and lay down and stretch out a bit. The other crate is probably twice that size-room to move around a bit. When I used the smaller crate she stunk all the time because she would end up laying in the pee and stepping on the poop. I felt like this was cruel when she couldn't hold it while I was gone so I started using a bigger crate. This crate she can at least not have to lay in it although I know the purpose of the crate is to have it small and keep her from going in it. I guess it boils down to the fact that she isn't able to hold it for me all afternoon. ( I will try to tire her out a little more at lunch like you mentioned in your other post). Soooo, which crate or where should I put her when I'm at work-the big or the little? or should I use an exercise pen? With or without a pad? I just wish I could take her with. There are no doggie daycares here.
Thanks so much in advance. I have really wanted someone's opinion that just outside trains their pups.
She'll get it! 7 months is right on the edge. I know they go days without mistakes and then BOOM right there. But it will happen!!

This is just my opinion, but if she's not able to hold it in the afternoon then you'll need to confine her in something like an ex-pen. Put it on tile, obviously, because when they are little for some reason they love to pee on the carpet! If you think she'll use the pad, you can try it. Just don't encourage the pad. I also worry that she might get used to it and mistake other things for the pad. Maybe give her another month and then try the crate in the afternoon again.

I've discovered that the pee doesn't bother them as much as the poop. If Loki would pee in his crate and sleep in it. If he accidentally pooped in his crate he would SCREAM to be let out to get cleaned up right away. He would stand as far away from it as possible. So I honestly think the crate is more for the pooping.

Changing the size of the crate probably won't matter, since you already used the smallest size. Most likely she couldn't hold it, the crate probably wasn't too big. Loki has a big crate he can stretch out in, but only after he was fully crate trained was he allowed to move into his big crate. I also got him a bigger one because when we are gone we tend to be gone for a few hours, whereas with the actual crate training they tend to be in there for shorter periods at a time. (Also, they will be crate trained before they are fully housetrained!)

Are you putting a blanket in the crate? We found out quickly Loki would pee on his blanket but hold it if there was no blanket. Nothing to absorb... It's not forever, just long enough to break the habit. Loki has a coolpad (like a doggie waterbed!) and a comforter in his crate... spoiled.

Also, I'm thinking maybe you should change when you feed her. Maybe feed her less in the morning and then feed her at lunch time. Time how long it takes before she poops if you can. Loki always needs to poop right around the same time he eats - within 15 mins of eating he needs to go out. Some dogs may go 4 hours after they eat! So maybe changing when she eats her biggest meal may help???
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!