Old 06-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #22
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolabella
Here is what American Airlines website says about sedation:

"Sedation
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, in most cases cats and dogs should not be given sedatives or tranquilizers prior to flying. An animal's natural ability to balance and maintain equilibrium is altered under sedation, which can be dangerous when the kennel is moved.

Whether flying as a cabin or checked pet, animals are exposed to increased altitude pressures, which can create respiratory and cardiovascular problems for dogs and cats which are sedated or tranquilized. Brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs and snub-nosed cats are especially affected."

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...horEvent=false
Thanks for that! I read something similar, and my impression was it applied to people who oversedate animals to the point of unconsciousness. It was also for animals that were stored in cargo.

But it does give me pause, so I will solicit opinions from other vets. But I do appreciate your input.

But Rae Rae, Jeze, I'd lay odds that you are a flight attendant. What's wrong with people wanting their dogs to be comfortable on a flight? I pay $80 each direction, and all I've gotten out of the airlines is rudeness. DON'T EVEN THINK OF TAKING THAT DOG OUT OF THE KENNEL. That's a direct quote as we were walking on the plane in full compliance. I think there's room -- a lot of room -- for airlines to improve their regulations for having dogs on flights.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!