View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
midwestgirl
Yorkie Talker

Default I got my Yorkie!

On Sunday I got my first Yorkie! He (Gizmo) is 1 pound and 15 ounces (as of yesterday's vet visit) and will be between 3.5 and 4lbs full-grown. He will be 3 months old tomorrow (Saturday). I got him from a very nice couple 30-minutes from me, who had puppies by "accident".

I've always had big dogs (labs, springers) and have a 5-year-old, 100lbs pound lab right now - his name is Kirby and he's our family dog that is very attached to my mom. Being in a wheelchair with limited abilities, I've wanted a small dog that is easier for me to pet and interact with - Kirby will only come to me if I have food.

Gizmo seems to be exactly what I wanted! From the minute we got in the car with him, he's been incredibly attached to me. He is perfectly content sitting in my lap or on my bed with me. I'm afraid he might be too attached to me, though. I let others in my house play and spend time with him, but if I'm in or near the room, he just wants to come running to me.

He is a very well-behaved puppy. Very calm and quiet. The first couple of days here he didn't make a sound, but he's slowly getting vocal - he'll bark or kinda growl if he is playful or really has to go potty. He knows he is to go potty outside - he does a little dance when he has to go or starts climbing on me in bed.

I'm a little concerned that he isn't getting very much activity. Kirby really does not like him and has tried to lunge at Gizmo a few times, so I cannot let Gizmo run around the house. I keep him in my room, unless Kirby is in another room with my mom, outside or riding in the car with my mom. Gizmo likes to hide under my chair, so I hesitate to let him be on the floor a lot, especially if I need to be moving around - but I know he cannot be on my bed all day either so we are getting better at being on the floor. If I put his fleece bed and toys on the floor across the room, he does not go under me as much.

I had him at the vet yesterday for his second set of shots. The vet said he has a soft spot on his head where his skull did not close all the way. It isn't very big but she said it wasn't normal. The vet said he also has an underbite. And one of his dew claws grew back. On his puppy book from the vet the breeder took him to, it says he has an Arhythmia. I guess I never saw that so when she brought it up, I was clueless. The vet listened to his heart and she thinks it is more of a "normal" Arhythmia, called Respiratory Sinus Arhythmia (?) where the heart beats different when inhaling. She does not think it will be a problem for him, but will keep an eye on it. His heart rate was 130. Otherwise everything was fine. We've been going to her for years, so I trust her.

Gizmo seems to sneeze a lot, but nothing discolored comes out. Sometimes I think his head and ears feel hot. He scratches at his neck and ears a lot, but I think it is just his collar bothering him.

One thing that has me a bit concerned is that he shakes when he inhales. I think he only does it when he is nervous but I'm not sure. I'm trying to observe when he does it and what might be making him nervous.

Oh, he LOVES girls but really isn't into guys... lol.

Thanks for reading! I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, advice, tips, etc!
midwestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!