View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Nikki+2
I heart Sugar
Donating Member

Default Help with new adult dog

Sugar is my third yorkie. I brought him home a week and a half ago. He is a 16 month old male who was living with a breeder. The breeder is a super nice lady but this little boy is not trained AT ALL!! I was able to have him on the condition that I did not have him fixed until he has bred one time with a specific female. That female is just going into her first heat and he will meet her during her second heat which will hopefully result in pregnancy and I will have him fixed.
I absolutely adore this little guy! I have been in love with him since he was 8 months old and I am thrilled to have him. He is the cutest, most loving yorkie I have ever seen. He just wants to be held and cuddled and loved which I love doing.
He is adjusting to his new home and I'm sure that has been a big adjustment. He had never been out of the breeders home except to got to the vet and rarely saw anyone other than the breeder and her husband so we are having some problems. My other two yorkies were trained from puppyhood so I am at a loss right now. Here are the immediate issues I need to deal with:

1. He is very protective of me and barks and growls at my husband. If I hand him to my husband he will let him pet him and will even give him little kisses but when my husband first walks into the room, he goes nuts. Also in the morning when my husband is getting ready for work and Sugar and I are still in bed, he barks and growls the whole time. Nothing I have done (stern no, popping a table with a newspaper and even his butt) makes him so much as pause in his gowling.

2. He will not come on command. He is usually following me around like a shadow but sometimes, especially when I am trying to take him outside, he just stares at me like he has gone deaf. He also does this when I try to bring him back inside. Now my other two are following his lead and I am about to go crazy!

3. He was pee pee pad trained by the breeder. Since he is not neutered, I am having to keep a belly band on him and try to train him to potty outside. With my others I took them outside frequently and when they had accidents I said, bad boy (or girl) and put them outside. He does not go frequently like a puppy would and is perfectly happy to potty in his belly band so I can't figure out how to train him.

I'm starting to think I need professional help (in more ways than one! ) I have been looking at training books, reading about clicker training and considering hiring a trainer to come to my home.
Any advice on any of these topics would be hugely appreciated!
Nikki+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!