View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
feminvstr
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

My reason for posting is I found it an interesting article simple as that ... did I agree with most of it? No! Did I agree with some of it of course.

For example the on going debate and possible legislation of the PAWS act. I personally spoke with AKC regarding this purposed legislation. I am not a proponent of the bill but I do better understand it (if it does pass) and the possible effect it may have on the small hobby breeder. Government enforcement has its place, the "millers door step" in the large breed for profit kennels, but for small hobby breeder I question their needed involvement. In their eyes its all about business and or in some instances public pressure.

I dont agree with mix breeds, nor breeding the flavor of the month, but every pet should have a home and every breeder should be held responsible for the health and well being of every pup they may produce, requiring a return/rehome agreement be signed with every placement or be an important part of their contract. Because society has become more involved in the welfare of animals there are more pet rescues, no kill shelters, not to mention responsible breeders doing their part in fostering and placement, but it is in my opinion if more breeders would adopt strict spay/neuter contracts no matter the breed the less likely others would entertain the thought of breeding their beloved pet.

Also Ms. Jade points out "our disposable society" which I couldnt agree more with yesterday, but I take issue with today. It is also my opinion todays life style has changed, public acceptance has broadened, the "PET BUSINESS" has become big business and with big business comes government involvement.

Even though we've become a kinder more gentler society advocating animal rights, count the number of doggie day cares, there are now numerous pet therapists, pet trainers, pet videos, pet radio, pet camcorders, pet insurance, pet cemeteries, all day pampered pet salons, pet boutiques, pet clothing designers, dog walkers, pet sitters, mobile vet practices and groomers. Glance at the pet food manufacturers alone; 20 years ago there was puppy chow today there is a smorgasbord for pets from the raw diet to the doggie bakery. Today people celebrate their pets, who would have imagined 20 years ago a pet wedding or a puppy birthday party?

Many businesses allow employees to bring dogs to work, colleges allow pets in classes or some provide doggie day care. Families can travel more freely with their pets, its amazing how many pet friendly hotels and restaurants are available throughout the world. Todays pampered pooches are treated more like children living the spoiled life instead of an outside guard dog.

Like in anything there is good and bad and when the government gets involved more often than not its for monetary reason over public pressure.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!