Thread: Potty Help !
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaPants
i have another related question...
does anyone have advice for this situation? i live with roommates, and they love my baby. Nina is very good with her potty training when i'm around. but when i go to work, which is four nights a week (i'm a waitress), my roommates love to let my dog run around and play, and that's when most of her accidents occur. they let her outside to go, but they just let her roam and don't stay with her and watch her and tell her "go potty!" i don't want to ask them to have to train her too, (it's time consuming and frustrating!), but i wish they'd just offer! what should i do? leave her in my room?
That sounds like a good time to use crate training. Tell your roommates they can let her outside, then play with her for 30 mins and then she needs to go back in her crate until they let her out again. Also, do you have her on a food/water schedule? They might be feeding her or giving her a lot of water without letting her out? Maybe not but just asking.

Also, evening is and always has been Loki's active time - also when he would have mistakes. He sleeps all day while I'm at work - my husband is home to let him out but he mostly sleeps. I let him out in the morning, feed him and let him out again before I leave. Then he sleeps til noon and hubby lets him out. He goes back to sleep til 2 or 3, goes out again, and waits for me to get home. Then I come home and feed him, walk him, give him water, etc. and play with him and he probably goes outside once an hour in the evening.

Maybe your little girl is more active, therefore having more accidents. Especially if your roommates are playing with her. I'd just set some minor rules for them and say she either needs to go outside every 30 mins or she needs to be crated if they can't let her out or watch her. Also make sure they give her a treat when she goes outside too so she doesn't think the rewards only come when you are around. Then just ignore any accidents that happen. Even though my husband and I trained Loki, he is just as trained at someone else's house with someone else watching him (potty-wise and tricks/commands). As long as you show him where the door is and where the treat can is, he's good to go.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!