View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Barbershop Yorkie Face $5100 in Fines

TITUSVILLE, FL - Nestled among a television repair shop, a dog groomer, a sign-maker and a storefront ministry, you'll find Satey's Barber Shop, offering everything from a crew cut to a trim at the Hopkins Street location since 1981.

A mainstay for the past six years is Satey's dog -- a Yorkshire terrier named Snoopy who spends her days lounging, yawning and greeting customers who come armed with homemade doggie treats.

But after having a dog in various barbershops since 1965, owner Lucey "Satey" Higginbotham faces fines of more than $5,100 for repeatedly violating the state regulation that prohibits pets because of sanitary reasons.

"I couldn't understand it," the 82-year-old said of the letter she recently received from the from Department of Business and Professional Regulation. "I can't even describe the feeling.

"There's nothing left over at the end of the month when we pay all our expenses for the shop and our home. I couldn't even sell the equipment here in the shop for $5,000."

The state argues that it's
Higginbotham's refusal to comply with the law that drove the fines so high. State inspectors found the dog in the shop the past three Novembers on routine visits, and she paid $400 in fines the past two years.

But she kept bringing the dog in, and the penalty skyrocketed.

"I think it's insane," said her daughter, Dorothy, who now runs the day-to-day operations of the barbershop. "Our customers love the dog. Sometimes they just stop by and visit with the dog and bring her a treat. If you ask me, this is totally crazy."

'Kind of blatant'

Kristen Ploska, press secretary for the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, said Higginbotham is not in danger of losing her license -- yet.

"On the third offense, it's kind of blatant that she is still not in compliance," Ploska said.

Higginbotham has had two heart attacks and no longer cuts hair because of shaky hands.

She spends most of her time in the barbershop taking online courses from Brevard Community College. She just completed courses on how to use the computer programs such as Quicken. She said her next challenge is mastering digital photography.

Higginbotham said a new "doggy dining" law that allows pets in some restaurants rankles her most.

"We don't even have a soda machine," she said. "All you can get in here is a haircut."

The steady stream of clients in the barber's chair one day this week expressed disbelief at the amount of the fine.

"I didn't even know there was such a fine," said Mims resident Walt Meyer, who has been a regular for more than six years. "Is there really such a law? There's no food in here. If someone's allergic to hair, then this is the wrong place to be in the first place."

George Derr of Titusville said that as long as it wasn't a Great Dane leaning on him, he had no objections to a dog in the shop.

"The people leave more hair than the dog does," he said. "It's ridiculous."

Limited options

Higginbotham's options are limited. Her customers have urged her to get a petition started, but she has opted -- at least for now -- to send a letter to the department asking for leniency.

"The world has changed so much during my life," she wrote. "I was just trying to keep the hometown atmosphere in my barbershop."

Titusville resident Anne Hopkins has been getting her hair cut at Satey's for the past three years.

"I don't know what she can do," Hopkins said. "If she doesn't pay it, then she might get in more trouble than ever."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...WS01/606230334
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snoopy.jpg (37.9 KB, 253 views)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!