View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
red98vett
Yorkie Kisses are the Best!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieA
Ok vette and Carol Jean .. point well taken ... but I really want to do this ... My dog is so great with people ...SO friendly and well-mannered... he is such a love ... I'd LOVE to be able to take him to the Children's hospital or nursing homes .. I feel selfish not sharing him with people who could benefit from his warmth and sweetheartedness!(is that a word?)

I can't even tell you ( prolly don't need to) how many people stop me when we're out somewhere ... and smile SO BIG when he kisses them ...Mostly older folks and little ones ...Yesterday an elderly couple at the mall played with him for 10 minutes and thanked me profusely for " making their day" ... ANother woman with a little boy whose sister is allergic to dogs ... asked me to let him pet ozzie for a bit ... " he never gets to play with dogs and he loves them" she said ... The bonus part would be having him on my lap on the plane and some special treatment in places where dogs can't usually go ...
NOW THAT is a great way to offer smiles to people - A therapy dog as you described isn't what I consider a 'Service dog for the handicapped' - this is a great idea ! Go for it....I have a friend who takes her yorkie to a nursing home and she gets alot of satisfaction from doing this - and so does her yorkie....as well as the residents -

and Natsky - ALL THE BEST TO YOU - You are one of the reasons I posted as I did -

IF THERE IS A LEGIT Reason - YES they're awesome and a huge help to the handicapped & Disabled - but if this is abused by people who just want to 'take' their dogs out ...then they really need to rethink their reasons and remember what the Certification is really for.

Last edited by red98vett; 06-22-2006 at 08:18 AM.
red98vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!