View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
Natsky
Yorkie Yakker

What some of you are referring to is an Emotional Support Animal. Not a therapy dog.

Legislation has been put in place that would allow some people with an emotional need or mental illness the right to house an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) in “no pet” housing. In other words, if my landlord doesn’t allow pets in my building but I have an emotional need for the animal, be it a dog, cat, gerbil…if I can provide the proper documentation he has to let me have the animal.

This has also been a saving grace for many college students who deal with Mental Illness and would not otherwise be able to live on their own in a college setting. These ESA’s are being allowed to accompany their owners when they go other places as well. Sometimes something as small as a gerbil makes all the difference in the world.

The Emotional Support Animal legislation has not been put into place so that people who are miffed over not being able to bring their doggie’s into cafes now have some sort of “legit” reason to bend the rules.

I am one crazy chick. My formal diagnosis is: Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Psychosis NOS, Acute Anxiety…and a couple of other personality disorders that like to tag along. I struggle everyday of my life with many medications and side effects from those drugs, the effects of intensive weekly talk therapy and the endless fear of not knowing what tomorrow will bring. I have a wonderful support system and my life has been stable now (without hospitalization) for three years. But it is not easy. I work so hard to live a “normal” life, to not have hallucinations, to remember to take my meds…even when they make me gain 50 pounds and cause my hair to fall out. It’s HARD.

Dog have always been wonderful support to me and help more than I could possibly express with my anxiety. I would love to have an ESA, but I cannot. I could probably drop one of my medications entirely if I had an animal at home with me all the time. But, I cannot. Because people think it is a joke. I have been waiting and waiting to move for months now. Why am I moving…because I want to have my little Yorkie. Because I love dogs, but also because they reduce the quantity and severity of panic attacks that I have when I am home alone. My landlord does not “buy into” the “whole Emotional Animal Support thing” because he knows of people who pretend to have “therapy animals” for the sole purpose of sneaking them into cafes and boutiques in our areas. He will bring me to court if I try to have an ESA in my house.

I consider it a slap on the face to people like me, who suffer from severe and debilitating mental illness every day, who could really benefit from an Emotional Support Animal…who can’t have one or are laughed at because it’s basically a joke due to the abuse of this new legislation. It’s horrible that someone would pretend to have an emotional/mental disorder because they think that it’s not fair that they can’t bring their Yorkie everywhere with them. That is like pretending to be handicapped so that you can park closer to the mall because it’s more convenient for you.

When I had my little doggie a few years back, she came everywhere with me that I could possibly take her. I did get kicked out of a Wal-Mart once, but I honestly thought I could take her there. I understand that these animals are like our children…but there are people out there with a legitimate need for support from their animals. Just think about it. The more people abuse the ESA, the less people with a legitimate need can benefit from Emotional Support Animals. I’m not trying to make anyone feel bad, I’m just trying to shed some light on the fact that there are some people who need there animals…not just because it’s super annoying to have to leave them home sometimes...but because they simply fall apart sometimes when they are alone. Think about the person who, out of nowhere, thinks there house is about to burn down or starts to have trouble breathing and panics…this person could really use the presence of an animal. Just, be nice. Find another way. Don’t abuse this…it really could make it hard for other people.

Thank you. And, again, I love it here. I love all the people here, I think you are all the sweetest people around and the love that you all obviously have for your animals makes me smile every time I come here. I’m not trying to make anyone mad, I’m just trying to show you the flip-side to this coin.

Edit to add:

I realize that some of yo uare talking about certifying your dogs as therapy dogs...I assure you, ceritfying your dog as a "therapy dog" when he really is not does the same thing when it comes to making it harder for people with a legitimate need. It all ends up under the same catigory.

Last edited by Natsky; 06-22-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Natsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!