Thread: Concerned
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 06:31 AM   #2
Higgin's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

They seem to go through periods where they eat on schedule and well, and other times when they are kinda finicky. We sort of solved this by offering dry kibble (I use Natural Choice, but others are fine, too) all the time. We just keep their bowls supplied so they can nibble when they are hungry.

I do think that just feeding a 4 month old twice a day is not really enough, unless you are giving them lots of treats in between. I have to be careful that I don't make the treats I give Higgins the major portion of his diet, since he's so cute, it's hard to resist.....but then his good nutrition will suffer. On the days he has a Greenie (about twice a week), he fills up and doesn't eat as much of his kibble.

Exercise also plays a part. Higgins eats a LOT for a 6 pound Yorkie! And his little body is HARD muscle, no fat, and slim. But that little boy RUNS all day! He is tearing up our woods and racing around the house and playing fetch seemingly without stopping. He does stop for a couple of SHORT naps during the day, but he is otherwise the most energetic dog I have ever known. So he can get away with eating more than the normal 6 pound pup. It is going to be soooooo hard on him this winter when he will have to be on a leash all the time and only have a tiny camper to play in......sigh.......
Higgin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!