View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Tophersmom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Angry Dogs left in vehicles an absolute no-no

There's nothing that makes me more upset than seeing a dog left unattended in a car in the warmer months! I don't think many people realize how quickly the temps rise in a vehicle and how much that heat affects their dog.

I know I didn't realize it until I did some research.

We've been in the middle of some hot weather up here, but the other day it was a bit cooler and while out doing errands I saw a dog left in a truck cab, the windows cracked a couple of inches. I have no idea how long the dog was left there before I arrived...the owner came out to his truck after about 5 minutes after I got there. I was getting out of my vehicle to say something to him, but he drove away before I could get to his side of the vehicle (I don't move very fast!) The dog was panting pretty heavily by the time the owner came out....hopefully he was okay.

I knew that temps could rise fast in a parked vehicle, but was shocked to learn how fast they rise and to what temps....
It takes only 5 minutes for the temp in a vehicle (in the shade with windows cracked open) to reach 100 or so degrees on a warm day. In 10 mins, the temp can reach 120. Heatstroke can take hold of the dog in 15 minutes or less, depending on the size of the animal. If the vehicle is parked in the sun, it only takes minutes for the temp to reach 160 degrees!

Symptoms of heatstroke are: heavy panting, distress, staggering, dark red/blue/purple gums, drooling and vomiting. It is an agonizing death. The only way to alleviate the symptoms is to cool down the dog immediately...a tepid/cool bath (not cold) will help unless the heatstroke is too far advanced...then even a visit to the vet might not help!

If you see a dog left in a vehicle, please speak to the manager of the business that owns the parking lot and have him page or notify the vehicle owner. You could save a dog's life by doing this! It's what I should have done...I'll know better next time!

I'll get off my soap box now
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!