View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Judith
Yorkie Talker

Cry Update on Molly in Illinois -Collapsed Trachea

Hi,
My little Molly May had another attack Saturday the 17th of June. It was on her 9th birthday. Her last attack was April 8 which was on my birthday. Anyway, she was scarfing down her breakfast and something went down the wrong "pipe". She tried to cough it up but, of course, it only exacerbated the situation until she was in extreme distress. I rushed her to the Emergency Vet Clinic where they put her in oxygen, gave her the usual shots and we waited to see if the trachea would relax and open again. Her tongue and gums turned blue once we arrived at the Clinic because she became more upset. Also, Molly has a real aversion to being caged, as she was kept in a cage 24-7 in her previous life. The oxygen unit at the Emergency Clinic is a large cage like structure with a glass window in front. My sweet little Molly bit the Vet and tried frantically to get out. They assured me she'd be all right but I know that being upset can do more harm to dogs with this problem, so I took her home 5 hours later. She is not the same little dog. First of all, her eyes are kind of vacant . Last night she just stood in one spot even after I turned off the lights. She usually sleeps with me but now seems distant and sad. The vet said she may be "maxed out" on the meds that save her life--I'm not sure how many more times we can go through this. I made a promise to her when I adopted her that she would never feel pain again. I love her more than life and I'm so scared as to what is next. I am so careful with her diet; I keep her out of the heat and don't let her get over excited, but this attack just came on while she was eating. Her collapse is in the thoracic area and she is not a candidate for surgery. The attacks are getting closer and closer. What is the right thing to do in this case? Her breathing is labored and her heart is enlarged. I've only had her for four years and she is the best little girl. Also, each ER visit is approx. $250 which is 1/3 of my income as I'm on SSDI. I hurt so much that I can't stop crying. Judi
Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!