View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

A good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner will help a lot - Oscar went through a brief phase of actually having little scabs because his skin was so dry (he was scratching at it) and I hadn't been using a conditioner. I got Pet Silk moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and he's been fantastic ever since. My vet also suggested adding a tiny bit of olive oil to his meals everyday - apparently helps with the dry skin - I kept forgetting to add it in, so I can't attest to that, but it's something you could try. Some people swear by it. When they are that young, I don't think you need to bathe them too often - they don't have the long coat yet that tends to get dirty quickly. Oscar is almost 8mths and I still only bathe him every other weekend. I DO think it is a good idea to get them used to the bathing process early though - especially the hairdryer!

Oh, I've also heard that their diet can contribute to dry skin - if you're feeding kibble with corn as an ingredient, apparently that can contribute to itchiness/dry skin. I am feeding Oscar Royal Canin puppy right now (which lists corn as an ingredient) and will be switching to Chicken Soup brand for his adult food.

Hope this helps...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!