View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

your dog can be licking its feet for a couple reasons. One, there is something stuck in the pad or between its toes. Two your dog has an allergy to something they are walking on. It could be grass, some type of pollen that is around now, the cleaning agent you use on your floors or something else that got tracked into the house. Three, your dog is bored. If you've ruled out the other two by taking them to the vet, then you can usually count on this being your answer. If there doesn't seem to be anything bothering your dogs foot and you notice this is a constant all year round thing your dog is trying to tell you something. Many dogs will do this compulsive foot licking and it eventually irritates the foot and turns the fur red (there is something in their saliva and tears that do this). To stop is you can distract your dog with something else right when it begins to lick, you can always make sure there are lots of toys around for your dog to play with, and if its really bad your dog might have to wear an e-collar for a little bit to get ride of the irritation and then you might have to try wrapping the foot until your dog finally forgets about it. The constant licking isn't good becasue even if your dog is just bored and there is nothing really wrong with the foot, he can cause there to be something wrong. The foot will become red and irritated and then it can become infected.

plus i find it extremely annoying, especially at night when i'm trying to sleep
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!